Fill In the Gaps: An Update

I haven't completed another Fill in the Gaps book lately, but there's a reason for that: I've been hijacked by Ray Bradbury.

Can you blame me?  I read Neil Gaiman's article about Ray and had to read the story he mentioned, so I got a hold of his short stores.  (Ray's, not Neil's.)  (Though I have those, too.)  I just couldn't put it down.  (For the record, the collection I grabbed was The stories of Ray Bradbury, which I checked out from the library.) (Until I got my own copy, that is.)  I have re-read a few of my favorites ("There Will Come Soft Rains," "The Sound of Thunder") and hit a few others that made me laugh, think and wonder.  (It's been a while, so a few are like new again.)

At about the same time, I read "The Call of Cthulhu" in The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre.  (It's on my list.)  May I say: Yikes!  Good, but yikes nonetheless.  I had to re-read the description of the small idol a few times because it was too bizarre.  And the rituals, my stars, the rituals.  Will Cthulhu rise for good?  Will I have to read the entire Cthulhu series to find out?  Do I have the courage?

I could not put Ray's short stories on my Fill in the Gap list because I have read and followed him all my life.  H.P. Lovecraft, however, is a gap I must fill.  Gladly.  (Well, I think gladly. David will tell you, especially if Mr. L affects me as Dan Simmons has.)

So Lovecraft and Bradbury it is.  Join me, won't you?

Comments